Re: Installation super-woes on PowerBook 3400

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 02:17:15PM -0400, Patrice LaFlamme wrote:

> > miboot won't work without macos disk drivers, the only way to install
> > macos disk drivers is to partition with a macos partitioner then
>
> Interesting, since miboot _did_ work, without needing a MacOS at all...

it does not need macos, it needs macos disk driver partitions (at
least i thought it did)

could you send me output of mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda (or whatever disk it
is) i am curious if you some how had a driver partition.  if they are
really not needed that would be interesting and useful.

> Is quik on the Debian CD? One thing about Linux on PowerPC I've noticed,

yes

> is that the documentation is almost non-existent... it took me a while to
> even discover that pdisk wasn't the tool I needed, and that miboot was the
> method I should use to boot the OS... And all the installation
> instructions (which I've found on the MkLinux pages...) assume you already
> have MacOS.. That's like assuming you have Partition Magic on a PC before
> installing Linux...

well on newworld boxes you don't need macos really, oldworlds you need
at least a floppy drive and if quik works your fine.  im not sure
about miboot i thought it required a disk driver partition. (maybe it
depends on the ROM)

> ok, I'll look on the debian ftp site, but.. where do I find quik?

apt-get install quik

/sbin/quik

> and quik will work with Oldworld ROM?

heh well `will work' might be a bit too strong ;-)  its made for
oldworld powermacs (and a few non-apple varieties) but whether it
works is dependent on if the gods have smiled upon you and allow your
OpenFirmware to work.

> My method was to create a small 2MB partition for miboot, then format
> it using hformat -l miboot /dev/hda2. I then took the
> miboot.img from BootX 1.2.2, and dd'd it on the partition. Using the

that is sort of redunant, dd will blow away the filesystem you just
created with hformat.  you don't need to bother with hformat if you
just dd an image (which is the best way to install miboot)

> hfstools, I hmounted that partition, then used hattrib to make it
> bootable: hattrib -b miboot:

this is also likely uneccessary, its probably already done, but can't
hurt.  just don't boot macos it likes to ruin this kind of setup. (no
prob for you since you don't have macos)

> And it worked. :)
>
> But of course, I will need to start again since I want Debian, not
> LinuxPPC ;)

well i don't know how miboot works in regards to ramdisks but cant you
just set it up to boot the debian kernel and ramdisk?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/