Re: How to keep gcc and such up to date?

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> 2.95.2 is actually fairly stable on powerpc.  There will be 2.96
> snapshots available in the near future - mostly when I have a really
> good reason to build them, or someone else does :)

Another possible new compiler motivation to add to the chorus: 2.95.2 doesn't
seem to be able to compile SCSI generic support in the kernel such that scanners
work.  The target is aborted, but when I turn on debugging for that target, then
it is recognized, and works once or at most twice, then stops working.

This is on a StarMax 603e with a UMAX 1220S, but was repeated by someone with
(IIRC) a beige G3 and a different scanner, so I'm pretty sure it's a
kernel/compiler problem.  It happens on 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels, no apparent
difference at all.

I believe it's related to agressive optimization which the debugging printks
somehow disable, but that's pretty empty speculation based entirely on hearsay
and roughly similar symptoms described elsewhere.

If there's a new compiler snapshot that builds 2.4 kernels, I'd love to try it
out...

Zeen,

-Adam P.