Re: making a cd bootable for a mac

At 15:28 -0400 9/7/00, matthewk wrote:
--On Thursday, September 7, 2000 3:12 PM -0400 Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> wrote:r

Not really.  In what way does it fail?  Does the CD try to boot and
give a blank screen?  Do you get a prompt?

Not quite, it doesn't recognize the disk as being bootable.  That's about it.
Startup Disk says the same thing, as does System Disk 3.1 from the Darwin dist. That's why I wondered if there was anything else I needed to do to make it bootable.

You probably never got a blessed system folder. Even if the CD has a good boot-time driver and has a valid MaOS System Folder it won't boot if MacOS never "blessed" that folder. Many people neglect this because in their work making bootable CDs they often bless the new system folder quite accidentally and don't know that it is necessary. It IS necessary.

(So how do you "bless" a system folder? You mount the new volume under _MacOS_ while it is still writeable and another MacOS volume is booted, i.e. the CD-ROM image is still in the form of a Disk Copy r/w image, and you double-click on its System Folder. Re-close the folder. Observe that it gains a Mac smile face -- the Finder has recorded some magic information in the directory. NOW burn that image to CD-R.)
--
  Garry Roseman  <mailto:memphis@macconnect.com>