Re: How do I use those PowerMac images-1.44?

   That will work, as long as I have a MacOS partition (which I do).
   Actually I have a whole darned Linuxppc2000 installation on the
   computer.  Now I'm trying to learn about and compare Debian.  I like
   the Debian thinking.  My question was partly theoretical; I'd like to
   know how I could install the Debian system on a hypothetical client's
   PowerMac computer using only a floppy drive.  I already know that I
   can do such an install from the Linuxppc2000 CD-ROM.  Installing the
   Debian distrib onto a PowerMac from floppy only is impossible because
   I find no tool for making a floppy on MacOS from the Debian binary
   floppy image.

   So far the right way to install onto a PowerMac (e.g. 7600 or
   PowerCenter etc.) appears to be to allocate a partition to MacOS, put
   bootx on it and the ramdisk compressed image, and boot into the
   Debian installer.  I haven't done that yet and my next task is to
   discover what tools are available in that ramdisk kernel for
   completing the installation.

Once you are in the ramdisk kernel, it is duck soup.  You'll probably
want to use C-M-F2 now and then, to get out of Dselect and roam the
filesystems.

Once Debian is installed, you can use dd to make floppies.  If I were
installing Debian on someone else's machine, I would like the feeling
of being able to give them boot/rescue floppies.  However, to save
possible embarrassment, especially if my friend or client might object
to foul language, I would make the floppies ahead of time.  (One
annoyance is that `cmp', one way to check whether the floppy is
correctly written, seems to be broken in Potato.)  Didn't I see
something on a LinuxPPC site about somebody wearing one of their
T-shirts...let's see, was it Ethan Benson?  I don't think so...oh, it
was Steve Wozniak.  Maybe some hardware-savvy person could get from
him some clues for improving floppy support...

---
John