Re: Debian on an iBook - colourdepth

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 03:01:31PM +0200, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>     Hi!
>

> I just installed Debian on my shining new iBook - as soon as I
> (re)discovered the initrd=-option, the install went smooooooth.
>
> I've only got one major outstanding issue:
>
> I can only start X with 8-bit colourdepth, and the virtual screen is
> automatically sized 800x5222 (or there about).
>
> I've set the vyres with fbset to 600, and I've put "virtual 800 600"
> in the XF86Config, but I still get this very, very tall virtual
> screen.
>
> Changing the depth with fbset doesn't make X accept anything but 8-bit
> colourdepth.
>
> (I'm using benh's 2.2.17pre9-ben1 kernel).

The frame buffer wasn't working correctly for me with this kernel. It
works now with benh's 2.2.17pre10-ben2.

However, I can't change the color depth with fbset : it says I don't
have enough video ram (I tried 16, 24 and 32 bpp).
Specifying video=atyfb:800x600-32 in yaboot prompt didn't work either.

And the X server is unuseable : the display turns all white. It only
works (unaccelerated) with the OF frame buffer.

Is there a solution for this ?

Olivier
--
Preserve Wildlife!  Throw a party today!