Re: PPC on a G4

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 01:03:38PM +0000, Jason Mesker wrote:

> I tried installing potato on a G4 processor for a friend and had tons of
> trouble with segmentation faults.  I had the system up and running fine
> then all of a sudden files started corrupting such as gzip, tar, etc.  I
> ran gzip and it would only give trash.  I also installed this multiple
> times with differant results each time but always resulting in file
> corruption.  The last time I installed it the install process died
> premature during the package installation and dropped straight out to a
> login prompt before dpkg configured all the installed packages.  When
> trying to login it complained of a bash problem.  Are there any issues
> with running this on a G4?  I have ran it on a G3 without much of a
> problem but with this G4 it's not even usable.  Thanks in advnace.

I'm typing this message from a G4 running Debian.  Which kernel are you
using.

I guess another question would be: does that machine correctly run another
operating system (such as MacOS)?  The behavior looks a lot like bad
memory, or some kind of bus problem.  Might also be a hard disk problem.

Dave Brown