Re: Booting of PPC Installation on PowerPC/Mac impossible?

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 12:20:50PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I make marginal progress here, but something is still going really wrong. The
> make bootable from harddisk option withing dh_bootstrap does not throw the
> message not yet possible for powerpc message any more (a typo during fdisk
> made the root partition too small). But booting still does not work. Iterating
> is pretty tiem consuming, since you have to do the complete base installation
> again and again. I see only a floppy disk on the screen after reboot.
>
> Thus, let me describe, what I did. Maybe there is an obvious mistake in this
> procedure (due to my inexperience with PPC hardware and open firmware (still
> not sure, if this is only a fancier name for BIOS)):

No, it's not really a fancier name for BIOS.  It does a tremendous
amount more than a PC BIOS.

> Make system rebootable from harddisk (no error message any more)
>
> Make system rebootable from floppy (not yet implemented)

As I said, making a system bootable with Quik is documented in the
mailing list archives.  You need to use nvsetenv in order to do it.

On a 9500 you would probably want 'nvsetenv boot-file scsi-int/sd@0:0',
but I'm not entirely sure.

In order to get at nvsetenv you will need to go to VT2 and type
"chroot /target" after installing the base system.

Dan