Re: Oldworld OF boot questions

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 01:22:00PM -0700, Chris Baker wrote:
>

> > O.k.  I've been playing around with this on my powerbook (which
> > thankfully has video under OF), and I think I'm almost there.  A few
> > more questions, and I'll be all set.
> >
> > The boot-hfs-image floppy works great.  I can type `bye' to boot to
> > ROM, and it boots the system on the floppy just fine.  But the
> > installer doesn't have nvsetenv on it, so how do I boot to my
> > installed system (remember that I'm trying to get rid of the macos
> > partition here)?  The boot-hfs-image floppy wants the root floppy; is
> > there some way to get it to mount the root file system off the
> > harddrive?  I tried to get dbootstrap to make me a boot floppy, but it
> > says that it isn't supported.  I also tried to boot a rescue floppy,
> > but OF said it couldn't load it.  I know that it *used* to be possible
> > to OF boot a floppy, because when I first installed R4 (linuxppc) this
> > was the only way to reliably boot linux (this was pre-BootX).
> >
> > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :-)
>

> boot into OF and run:
>
> setenv boot-device foo/bar/@0:0
>
> where foo/bar...  is you REAL OF boot device.

Thanks, Ethan, that's a good point.  Still, I'd like a solution that
works without booting into OF, since my powercenter 132 has a
particularly broken implementation thereof.  Maybe it's just a matter
of adding nvsetenv to root.bin.  I can just mount it via the loop
device and add it, right?

I'd still really like to build a floppy that can OF boot.  Does anyone
know why this doesn't work?

TIA,

cbb