Re: XFree86 4.0 binaries

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 09:51:56AM +1000, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > > How recent a kernel do I need ?  One from CVS ?
> > > I am using the one from Ben H's site (vmlinux-2.2.15pre14).
> >
> > For a mach64 chip, you might need a 2.3.x kernel - don't know exactly.
> >
> > But as you have a Rage128, it doesn't matter, you can use the fbdev driver
> > (until r128 recognizes your chip) with the correct bus ID.
> >
> > > I'll try the server on our G4 and see how that goes.
> >
> > Should be pleasant. :)"
>
> I hope so.  The X server does get further on the G4.  It recognises the video
> chip fine but it gets stuck with the pointer and keyboard devices.

fine to hear that ...

> I went to the XFree86 Australian mirror and read the online documentation for
> 4.0.  It says for USB mouse to use either "usb" or "auto" protocols.  The server
> does not recognise "usb" and dies.  It does recognise "auto" but the mouse does
> not work.  I get an awful bright green background with the normal X cursor stuck
> in the middle of the screen.

Well, ...

i guess that XFree 4.0 don't like the usb -> adb translation stuff in the
kernel, but then i am no expert ...

> Do I need a kernel parameter option ? ie. video=.... ?

Don't think so ...

> The keyboard section in XF86Config has "XkbModel" set to "amiga" and the
> "XkbLayout" set to "de_CH".  There is no documentation (that I could find on the
> Australian mirror) on these options.  I set the XkbModel to "mac" and the
> XkbLayout to "en_AU".  Are these options OK (I doubt it as I guessed these) ?
> Where can I find more info on these options ?

I don't know, i guess the en_AU should be ok (you could try plain en i think)
but not sure about the mac part, maybe it is macintosh or pmac or something.

i use "pc" and "fr" on the i386 box i am playing XF4.0 with.

> BTW: Does the option "UseFBDev" in the Rage128 Device section make the server use
> the fbdev driver ?

Yes, ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER