XFree86 4.0 binaries

http://n.ethz.ch/student/daenzerm/download/XFree86/4.0/

Thanks to Reinhard Nissl for quick betatesting!

(Doesn't mean there's no bugs left though ;)

As usual, I attach the main readme.

Michel

PS: Actually, this is 4.0a with some additional patches, but don't tell
anybody ;)

Michel Dänzer                             ///           mdaenzer@earthling.net
                                     __  /// 	     AmigaOS/Linux(Debian/PPC)
Student of computer science at the   \\\///   Team *AMIGA*      ICQ #: 5675698
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology \\\/   AUGS member #163      IRC: CoOpER

XFree86 4.0 server with Permedia2 hardware acceleration

Please read the accompanying readmes for every tarball before continuing.

Contents
--------

This contains all the necessary files to get an XFree86 server up and
running. The glint driver provides sophisticated hardware acceleration for
Permedia2 graphics boards.

Installing
----------

First of all, make a copy of your XF86Config. Its format has changed since
3.3.x and an example will be installed with the server (/etc/X11/XF86Config).
Please edit it to suit your system.

Extract the tarball to your root directory. Apart from the XF86Config issue,
it should be able to coexist with an existing X installation. (Check out the
server's -xf86config commandline option!) The new server executable is
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86, depending on your installation you'll have to make it
suid root (chmod u+s).

Important Note
--------------

Users without a Permedia2 board can use the also included fbdev driver, it
should also be faster than with 3.3.x (Read and edit the supplied XF86Config
file!)

*Important note for users with PCI gfx cards*

Apparently, you have to supply a BusID for the fbdev driver to work.

Features
--------

- Greatly enhanced hardware acceleration due to the new XAA (XFree
  Acceleration Architecture)

- Hardware cursor (modes are now automatically adapted to make it work)

- Modular design, single modules can be replaced without much hassle

Changes since 3.9.18:

- contains experimental support for the Xv extension, try
    http://n.ethz.ch/student/daenzerm/download/mpeg2play
  (don't forget the -b switch and maximizing the window :)
  Thanks to Michael Schimek for his code.

- problems with signal 4 are fixed

- new -libs- and -include- tarballs (not needed for normal usage)

- the r128 driver is included again. Kostas Gewrgiou <gewrgiou@imbc.gr> is an
  X developer working on r128/PowerMac support, contact him if it doesn't
  work.

Changes since 3.9.17f:

- I removed a few supposedly unused modules to make the tarballs smaller.
  If it complains about something missing, contact me

- Fixed all known acceleration bugs

- Fixed a bug which caused a crash (signal 11) with AfterStep's menu.
  If you experienced a sig 11 in another situation, this *might* be fixed as
  well...

Problems
--------

- 604e users apparently still have to enable
    Option "XAANoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill"
  in the XF86Config. I'm working on this and will provide an updated driver
  module once it's fixed.

For problem reports etc. contact me, *NOT* XFree86! This is in no way an
official release!

Have fun,

Michel Dänzer <daenzerm@student.ethz.ch>