Re: yaboot errors on g4

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 11:29:59AM -0500, pohl wrote:

> Josh Huber <huberj@wpi.edu>
> >
> > I'm using 0.5, which is think is the latest version.
> > I just set the boot-device to hd:9,yaboot_0.5
>
> I think this explains the difference between your machine
> and mine.  I have been trying to make a partition of type
> "Apple_Bootstrap" to install ybin onto.  You, on the other
> hand, are just using as small HFS partition.

if this mattered to OpenFirmware you would not be able to load yaboot
at all. a sidenote that OSX server uses the Apple_Bootstrap partition
to boot, since it uses UFS for a filesystem it has a bootloader
similer to yaboot stored there.

ybin will work fine with a ordinarly Apple_HFS bootstrap partition,
the probllem is you must NEVER boot macos becuase it will mount and
make it unbootable when it sees that there is no real macos.

> I know for a fact that I could also get my machine to work
> this way.  I had been too focused on trying to get ybin
> set up, because I was hoping to eventually make a dual-boot
> configuration with MacOS.
>
> We still don't have an instance of a post-speedbump G4
> that uses yaboot _with_ ybin successfully, but now I know
> how to get around it -- if I'm willing to do without dual-boot.

try a debug build of yaboot, i can compile one for you if need be. I
want to see what yaboot is trying to do, i think its still mangling
the OF path under some circumstances.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/