Re: problem with gconv-modules

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, David P. Reese Jr. wrote:

> when does it look like gconv-modules will be fixed?  it seems like everything
> depends on libgtk1.2 which depends on gconv-modules, so my G4 seems to be
> lacking some pretty cool packages.

I'm not sure whether this is the same problem you have, but read on:

After the last Debian-PPC installation I helped with, we couldn't get
either the locales package (which provides gconv-modules) or the libc6
package to update, since the newer version of each seemed to conflict
with the already-installed version of the other.

I believe we finally got everything updated by convincing dselect to hold
back the libc6 package (mark it with '='), which allowed us to upgrade
locales, and then reselecting libc6 and upgrading it.

We were working out of the potato branch when we fixed the problem, and
upgraded back up to woody after it was fixed. This may help also.

I'm not sure what caused this problem, as I didn't see it when I installed
on my own machine. Should the base filesystem tarball bundled with the
boot-disks include newer versions of libc6 and/or locales?

Matt Brubeck