Re: Using Wintel to get PowerPC code

Josh Kuperman wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 06:34:33PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Josh Kuperman wrote:
> [lots of stuff deleted]
>
> > Can you use PPP from Debian?  One of the nicest surprises for me in Debian is
> > that pon worked out-of-box, which I couldn't say about either of the PPP
> > utilities which came with LinuxPPC...  If this works, you can just use dselect's
> > built-in update, select, and install tools.  Yes, the download takes forever
> > over a modem, but it can be interrupted and resumed- it even saves partially
> > downloaded packages.
>
> It turns out PPP works fine,so this is not a problem, except as
> follows. I talked with my ISP, who told me to go ahead but he hates to
> have phone lines used at busy times because he tries to guarantee no
> busy signals and he has time restrictions on accounts. Also, I have
> message rate not flat rate phone service (actually the savings is at
> most 7 cents). So what I need to figure out how to do is to make the
> dselect update - the part requiring an internet connection - happen by
> itself approximately between 2AM and 7AM. I am certainly not going to
> sit there and watch it in any case.

Oh no!  I can't think of anything.  Except set the alarm clock for 2, pon, update
(3-4 mins on 57.6K) and start the install, set it for 6:45, sleep until next alarm,
interrupt (^C) and poff, go back to sleep, repeat the next night- including the
update because a handful of packages are bound to have changed.  That's a pretty ugly
constraint to have to live under!

Sorry I can't help more, hope you get it working!

-Adam P.