Re: Using Wintel to get PowerPC code

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 06:34:33PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Josh Kuperman wrote:
[lots of stuff deleted]

> Can you use PPP from Debian?  One of the nicest surprises for me in Debian is
> that pon worked out-of-box, which I couldn't say about either of the PPP
> utilities which came with LinuxPPC...  If this works, you can just use dselect's
> built-in update, select, and install tools.  Yes, the download takes forever
> over a modem, but it can be interrupted and resumed- it even saves partially
> downloaded packages.

It turns out PPP works fine,so this is not a problem, except as
follows. I talked with my ISP, who told me to go ahead but he hates to
have phone lines used at busy times because he tries to guarantee no
busy signals and he has time restrictions on accounts. Also, I have
message rate not flat rate phone service (actually the savings is at
most 7 cents). So what I need to figure out how to do is to make the
dselect update - the part requiring an internet connection - happen by
itself approximately between 2AM and 7AM. I am certainly not going to
sit there and watch it in any case.

I don't know if the base install provides enough for me to do that. If
not how would I manually install the packages that would make that
possible.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us