Re: booting from openfirmware

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 03:45:46AM -0500, gsteele@MIT.EDU wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is any information out there about booting the
> potato floppies using open-firmware on a powermac?
>
> I have a UMAX S900 (clone 9500 motherboard) and I would love to install
> debian linux on it. I am able to access the OF prompt through the serial
> port from my intel linux box, but I am not sure how to boot the "rescue"
> disk.  I found the following in the "bootargs file" and it looks like it
> got close:
>
> 0 > setenv boot-device fd:0  ok
> 0 > setenv boot-file /linux load_ramdisk=1 root=/dev/ram video=keep  ok
> 0 > boot unrecognized Client Program formatstate not valid
>  ok
>
> There is not any info yet in the docs about how to do it. I was planning
> to do an NFS install of the base and then get the rest from the ftp sites,
> after booting from a floppy. Are there any other install methods that
> might work better with my system?

Give me a few days - there should be a new installer shortly, if I do
not hose my mac the way I did this morning too many times more.

Quik is the spawn of the devel.  I'm looking into miBoot as a
replacement at this point.  Ditto yaBoot.  Both of these are a wee bit
too MacOS dependent right now, but that should be surmountable...

Dan