Re: Need your input for keymap configuration

Hi,

To add to this discussion about keymaps, here's some of my experiences:

I'm from Denmark and I'm using both i386 and PPC Debian Linux. Getting a
working keymap on the i386 machine hasn't been a big problem, but
getting one on the PPC indeed has; I've tried using the same as on the
i386 resulting in a unusable keyboard - the i386 ones does *not* work
with the PPC.

Oh, and as as a note - it's a PowerBook and a PowerMac I'm using...

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 12:15:34AM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:

> OK, so here is the info I gathered from the various mails I recieved,
> as I summarize them in the config script.  I did not srite any code
> for this for now, as I still miss some info, esp. about ppc boxes.
> I'll issue -8 without 68k/ppc support - there are many bugs to fix in
> the meantime.
>
> Please tell me if anything is wrong here, or whether you have
> solutions to address listed issues.
>
> I'd also like if possible to restrict as much as possible the sets of
> keymap to propose, and maybe someone can summarize the particularities
> of all the "Model: whatever" for ppc in the keyboard area.
> Especially, maybe some of the pmacs do not support i386 keyboards ?
>
> Maybe an USB keyboard can be detected (only as being USB, or maybe we
> can even find the layout ?), so that we simplify the declarations
>
> TIA,
> --
> Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
> debian-email:   <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux:
>                                     | Cheaper, more Powerful, more Stable !
> http://www.altern.org/ydirson/      | Check <http://www.debian.org/>
>

> # Subarches
> # FIXME: not done
> # Issues:
> # * ppc issues not fully asserted yet
> # * /proc/hardware, which only exists on m68k and ppc, seems to be
> #   an OPTION while configuring the kernel !
> #   Any fallback when it's not there ?
> # * USB set of keymap should contain what ? mac ? i386 ? subset of those ?
>
> # SUBARCH	KEYMAP SET	DETECTION
> # m68k/atari	atari		"Model: Atari"
> # m68k/amiga	amiga		"Model: Amiga"
> # m68k/mac	mac		"Model: Macintosh"
> # m68k/mvme	i386		"Model: Motorola"
> # m68k/bvme	?		"Model: BVME[46]000"
> # m68k/{sun,apollo,next,q40,hp300} Not supported by Debian
>
> # ppc/mac	i386,mac,usb	"Model: PowerMac|[Pp]ower[Bb]ook*|Power"
> # ppc/imac	usb		"Model: iMac*|PowerMac1*"
> # ppc/apus	i386,mac,amiga	"Model: Amiga"
> # ppc/atari	atari		"Model: Atari"
> # ppc/prep	?		"Model: PReP"
> # ppc/chrp	?		"Model: CHRP"
> # ppc/rs6000	?		?
> # ppc/umax	?		?
>

> --

mvh./Best regards
Juri

  Juri Jensen
  Pingvin Partner - Linux løsninger
  Linux server installation & administration
  Member of the worlds largest Linux User Group: SSLUG (www.sslug.dk)
  email: juri_j@get2net.dk
  The Artist, seeking beauty, discovers truth;
  The Scientist, seeking truth, discovers beauty.