Re: Debian/PPC

--citations from two messages in this thread

Hartmut.Koptein@t-online.de said:
> Outdated packages are bad packages with compiler or packing errors.
> The xfree package is one of it (it fails for mach64 and two header
> files that are at the wrong place).

Hmm... OK, but I've actually had pretty good luck compiling them (at least I
was until dselect took me up to gcc 2.95.1 and binutils broke.

> At monday i started a re-compile of old and bad packages (more then
> 300 were in the backlog; currently 201 'source' packages).

Ah, OK. I did just catch it when there was an unusual backlog.

> Roman Hodek is the main author for wanna-build.
> Every debian maintainer can lock a package (or more) on tervola and
> build it at home.

So I just need to register with debian and then I can build

> The need-to-build list was the list with bad packages. I should set
> them all to failed, but i like it more (for the moment) to restart it
> from time to time.

Odd that so many of them have built for me then... some fixes must recently
have gone in.

> You can setup a client-build-daemon (tervola is master), but we
> shouldn't do this at this stage. We can do this after the release,
> this machine can build then the stable binaries.

Hmm... I whould hope that after release the 'stable' branch wouldn't get
changed often enough for it to matter anymore.

> The best way is -- as i requested it serveral times -- ask for bad
> packages and work on them.

So I just need to register with debian and start hacking on packages that
don't work (well, OK _clean_ fixes to packages that don't work). I'll do that
(goes off to read up on registration rules...)