Re: Debian/PPC (was: Re: console-apt)

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 04:27:44PM -0500, Kevin Puetz wrote:
> Judging by the number of deb packages that compile fine but are out-of-date
> in the PPC tree, is more CPU horsepower needed to auto-build?
>
> I don't know what the protocol for this is, but I would be more than willing
> to run a debian-compiler instead of looking for an RC5 client. I haven't
> done much with debian packagin before (LinuxPPC is redhat-based), but now
> that I've jumped ship... apt-get source -b package is pretty slick.

We definitely need a better system.  I've looked briefly at the buildd
stuff and it seems that it is well-suited for multiple build machines.
I've logged into the buildd machine and used "wanna-build" to take ownership
of a package that I wanted to push to the mirror faster.

It shouldn't be difficult to modify the buildd package to check with
powerpc.debian.org (tervola) to check out packages to build and merge the
results back with tervola.  Anybody real familiar with buildd and willing
to modify it?  I think James Troup wrote it...

I've queried Hartmut privately regarding this but have had a bouncing mail
problem so he's probably just received my latest mail on the subject.
Anyway, tervola is a 604e/200 w/64MB RAM and the status scripts seem to be
out of whack with the state of packages in incoming.  There's a huge number
of packages it lists as need-to-build and most of them are already two revs
behind. :-/ My systems are behind a firewall but buildd doesn't care and I
should be able to provide at least one build daemon here out of the 10 or
so Debian/PowerPC machines that are running.

--
Matt Porter                                   Motorola Computer Group
mporter@mcg.mot.com                           CIBU Linux Support