Re: popen & pclose; How to report platform-specific bugs?

Brian Warner wrote:
> PS: re: emacs, I had problems with prepackaged emacs 20.3-6 and 20.3-7, the
> floating point thing looked like a likely culprit. (I've backed out to 20.3-5,
> which works find except for 'movemail' always failing, had to replace it with
> my own copy). Something I read suggested that emacs might have determined the
> endianness wrong and some data representations were messed up because of
> it.

The problem with emacs is related to lossage in the strtod function.  I
was able to compile a simple C program that gave the same bogus results
for floating-point string conversion as emacs. It's either libc or egcs
that's going wrong.

-Randy

--
http://www.cnbc.cmu.edu/~gobbel/
PGP fingerprint: 32 8A E8 24 A1 46 26 BC  F9 9D 0E B6 81 A9 02 0C

NOTICE: I DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL EMAIL MESSAGES OF ANY
KIND.