Re: install on IBM PPC 604e

On Fri, Sep 04, 1998 at 06:03:02AM +0200, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > I'd like to install Debian/ppc on an IBM PPC 604e machine (200mhz, 64m
> > ram, scsi, floppy, cdrom).
> > Currently there's an AIX 4.2.1 running on it with journal fs.
> >
> > My first problem is booting linux kernel from openfirmware prompt. I have
> > an msdos format floppy with a ppc kernel called zimage on it. I issue the
> > "boot fd:zimage root=/dev/nfs" command (I have a i386 Debian bootp/nfs
> > server). The system loads something from the floppy and the prompt
> > reappears.
>
> Which kernel version, where did you get this zImage, vendor type of your
> ethernet card, are you sure that your /tftpboot is correct on your i386 system,
> output from OF on startup, have you the tarball for powerpc, ...  ?

The /tftpboot is correct, I used to boot diskless i386 systems from it.
When I issue "boot net", the ppc machine connects to the bootpd and to
tftpd due to the syslog of the i386 machine.

The problem is that after getting the kernel image from the floppy or from
net it does nothing. I get back the prompt.

The image is from
http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/PowerPC/Install/zImage.ps2
I have a root fs for the powerpc from
http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/PowerPC/Install/chrproot.tar.gz
at /tftpboot/ip-of-the-ppc and there's a symlink for the name of it also.
But as the Linux kernel doesn't start, it doesn't try to mount it.

zImage: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Slapic

--
hacker: /n./ One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively
             overcoming or circumventing limitations.