Re: Proposal to update NMU section 5.11.1

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> I am still confused.  Does the discussed paragraph mean that the whole
> NMU changelog entry has to be still present in the changelog, just under
> the latest entry, or that they have to be closed again in the latest
> entry ?

Either one will work for keeping the fixed versions accurate.  However,
they will have different representations in the graphs that you see in the
BTS in the upper right corner.

If you close the bugs in the current entry but don't include the NMU
changelog entries, the BTS will show your upload as a new version based
off of the last maintainer upload, and the NMU versions as a separate
branch unrelated to your new upload.

If you instead include the NMU changelog (I'm not sure if building with -v
of the last maintainer upload is also required, but it couldn't hurt),
your new version will instead be a descendent of the last NMU, and the
graph will remain a straight line.

The appearance of the graph really doesn't much matter except for
aesthetics and the corner case of new bugs with found versions in the past
and how those bugs are then inherited by later versions.  If all you care
about is ensuring the bug doesn't appear to be still open in some
interesting branch of the versions, either approach will work.