Re: Proposal to update NMU section 5.11.1

Le Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 02:01:48AM +0200, gregor herrmann a écrit :
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:34:00 -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
>
> > For instance, say a potential maintainer picks up an old package to do an NMU
> > on, and updates the version of debhelper from v5 to v8, switches from 1.0
> > format to 3.0 quilt format, and likewise has to make numerous other similar
> > tweaks both to the debian files and patching the upstream source.  Are any of
> > these possibly considered part of packaging style in terms of this section of
> > the Dev Ref?
>
> IMO: yes, to all of these examples.
>
> As I understand it, NMUs should only do the minimal necessary changes
> needed to fix a bug (in order to make it easy for the maintainer to
> incorporate the diff).
>
> Changing patch systems, debhelper/cdbs/dh, source format etc. would
> indeed be sometimes easier for the NMUer, but they are usually not
> _necessary_ for solving a problem. This might lead to more work when
> preparing an NMU but that's not the main priority.
>
> (For totally outdated packages it might make more sense to think
> about getting them orphaned by the MIA team or discussing their
> removal.)
>
> And this is only 1) my personal understanding of 2) the current
> situation; I might be wrong, and the common interpretation might
> change :)
>

> In general, I agree that zack's wording _sounds_ more positive towards
> NMUs than the language in DevRef at the moment, and I wouldn't mind
> if you came up with improvements.

Talking about improvements, if the following part about NMU acknowledgement is
obsolete as I think, how about removing it, either as a separate bug, or as
part of the general refresh of the section that is discussed here.

  To acknowledge an NMU, include its changes and changelog entry in your next
  maintainer upload. If you do not acknowledge the NMU by including the NMU
  changelog entry in your changelog, the bugs will remain closed in the BTS but
  will be listed as affecting your maintainer version of the package.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan