Re: Proposal to update NMU section 5.11.1

On Monday, April 23, 2012 18:54:41, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 23/04/12 at 17:24 -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> > Oops... sending again, as I forgot to CC: the developer's reference team.
> >
> > On Monday, April 23, 2012 16:26:59, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Could you be a bit more specific about what you believe is not allowed
> > > to do using NMUs?
> >
> > Not exactly, no -- the reason is that section 5.11.1 doesn't state what
> > isn't allowed with NMUs, and instead seems worded on the conservative
> > side and simply makes recommendations of when NMUs might be appropriate
> > or not.  In other words, I think the section is a little too vague, and
> > simultaneously doesn't seem to correspond with what Zack believes can be
> > done with NMUs.
> >
> > Section 5.11.1:
> >
> > - Seems to imply that the only reason to do an NMU is for fixing bugs.
> > In interpreting this, it is not clear that a wishlist bug report of
> > "please package the new upstream version" is something that could be
> > valid to do an NMU for if the maintainer doesn't have time to do the
> > work.
>
> wishlist bugs are bugs, so they are covered.

I now that *now*, but only because of discussion on [debian-devel], and not
because of Section 5.11 of the Developer's Reference.  :-(

Let me state the issue another way -- when it comes to NMUs, my personal
reference on them is now Zack's email, and not the Developer's Reference.  :-/
I want others to be able to get at least the same level of understanding of
NMUs that I currently have now after discussing it on [debian-devel], without
having the DPL needing to repeatedly explain them.

> > - States that leaving an open grave bug might be better than possibly
> > uploading a version that breaks something else
>
> that's correct

Try to read between the lines -- it implies "be reluctant to do an NMU unless
you're absolutely sure of what you're doing".  That's a much higher bar than
the spirit that I think is embodied in Zack's email describing NMUs.

And there's a difference between being correct and being informative.  i.e.
just because a statement is correct doesn't mean it conveys what DDs need to
know.

> > - Implies that the NMU package shouldn't make any changes other than some
> > time of critical bug fix -- quoting: "Fixing cosmetic issues or changing
> > the packaging style in NMUs is discouraged."
>
> You are over-reading.

Saying this is not helpful.

> > Quite literally what happened in this case is Zack pointed me to read
> > Section 5.11.1 of the Developer's Reference, along with saying that NMUs
> > are more permissive than I thought they were -- and after reading the
> > section again, I came back with the same conclusion that I already had
> > because of the way it's worded.  I'm hoping to reword the section so
> > that others don't get the same mistaken impression that I had, which was
> > that Debian Developers generally don't do NMUs unless it's for an
> > Release Critical bug of some kind, and never to do NMUs for uploading a
> > new upstream version.  I'm not the only one that had this mistaken
> > impression.
>
> I don't mean to discourage you, but converging on the current wording
> took several hundreds of mails. See http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep1.html
> and related discussions on various mailing lists back in 2008.

I'm not discouraged -- if anything I'd expect the reverse.  Due to the effort
it took to create the document, a common result would be if the team were
reluctant to change the document unless there's a blatently obvious reason to
do so.

My goal (at least to start with) was to convey the issue to see if I could
motivate doing something about it.  There is merit in the attempt regardless,
so if ultimately nothing changes, that's okay.

P.S. I really appreciate your Debian packaging tutorial.  ;-)

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us