Re: debian-policy is blocking multiarch

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2010.01.26.0007 +1300]:
>> I don't see any reason for the package manager changes to block
>> the Policy update.  Even if the multiarch field is not yet
>> supported, it doesn't hurt anything to have packages using those
>> directories (*if* they're used correctly).
>
> Having support in the package managers would enable more large-scale
> testing though. After all, policy has always been about documenting
> the status quo, not dictating what to do in the hope that the
> package managers are amended accordingly and no problems occur when
> taking theory into practice.

Then the policy team should give the green light to maintainers to change
their package contrary to policy and point to an unreleased policy for
reference on how to do it right.

As it is you are in a devils circle with each side being blocked saying
the other needs to change first. That also affects dpkg and apt because
without a large enough set of packages to test dpkg/apt developement it
will hardly be bugfree. Uploading a multiarch dpkg and apt to Debian
without having it tested out thoroughly first will probably be the worst
outcome.

MfG
        Goswin