Re: debian-policy is blocking multiarch

Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Goswin,
>
> 2010/1/25 Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>:
>> Steve Langasek (vorlon) informed me on irc that the policy changes for
>> multiarch are commited now but not yet released and this is now blocking
>> the progress of multiarch as in the case of eglibc:
>>
>> 11:21 < vorlon> mrvn: the change is committed; talk to the policy maintainers
>>        about getting a new policy release out
>>
>> 11:22 < vorlon> I don't want maintainers uploading crackful pseudo-multiarch
>>        packages willy-nilly because they decide "it must be ok if glibc is
>>        doing it" and have no published policy to refer to
>>
>> As multiarch is a release goal[1] and the freeze is aproaching fast
>> every day delayed makes it that much harder to reach the goal.
>
> I believe that until dpkg/apt are usable for multiarch, this should
> not be released. Maybe the right ping should be to the dpkg/apt
> maintainers.
>
> Regards,

As vorlon says there is no reason for packages to wait for
apt/dpkg. Starting the conversion of debs now will give more time to
convert, test, bugfix package before the freeze. The multiarch packages
must work with the old apt/dpkg, which everyone can test, and the new
apt/dpkg, which can be tested as it gets completed.

Further dpkg-cross/apt-cross have added some multiarch support in the
last upload that now needs more packages to test it (the existing few
packages don't make good testcases). Having more and more usefull
mltiarch debs to work with will improve the testing and support for
cross compiles. So even if apt/dpkg don't make it in time the cross
compile users will benefit greatly.

Last there is already one maintainer uploading multiarch debs. It would
be nice if on could compare them to policy and send him kudos or throw
the policy at him (and any followers).

MfG
        Goswin