Re: Goals of debian/copyright

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Speaking of which, the other requirement we have is:
>
> 8) Provide information about the upstream maintainer and upstream
>    location of the software for non-native software, including any
>    necessary repackaging of upstream source for Debian's purposes.

Does that information necessarily belong in ‘debian/copyright’? I
thought the proposed ‘debian/README.source’ was more suited for this.

Or are you saying there are reasons for providing this information
specifically to satisfy copyright requirements?

--
 \          “I used to be an airline pilot. I got fired because I kept |
  `\       locking the keys in the plane. They caught me on an 80 foot |