Re: Goals of debian/copyright

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:
>
> >> 6) Documentation for users about usability of packages in non-free
> >> (IE, non-commercial, non-modifiable, etc.)
>
> > Why restrict this point to non-free? I think it's important for users of
> > *all* software to have easy, predictably-located access to the terms
> > under which they receive it.
> >
> >     6)  Documentation for users about all terms for works distributed
> >         in Debian.
>
> I read this part as encapsulating the current Policy requirement
> that packages in contrib and non-free use debian/copyright to
> document why they're not in main.

Okay. If Don thinks my requirement above (which possibly needs to have
s/in Debian/using Debian infrastructure/ applied, or similar) is a
distinct requirement from what prompted me to write it, that's fine. I
present it as a requirement regardless.

--
 \        “I spent a lot of money on wine and women, and like a fool I |
  `\                                 squandered the rest.” —Benny Hill |