Re: Goals of debian/copyright

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

>> 6) Documentation for users about usability of packages in non-free
>> (IE, non-commercial, non-modifiable, etc.)

> Why restrict this point to non-free? I think it's important for users of
> *all* software to have easy, predictably-located access to the terms
> under which they receive it.
>
>     6)  Documentation for users about all terms for works distributed
>         in Debian.
>
> Unless you're trying to draw an IMO non-existent line between someone
> who would never need to exercise the terms of the work, and different
> people who would.

I read this part as encapsulating the current Policy requirement that
packages in contrib and non-free use debian/copyright to document why
they're not in main.

Speaking of which, the other requirement we have is:

8) Provide information about the upstream maintainer and upstream
   location of the software for non-native software, including any
   necessary repackaging of upstream source for Debian's purposes.