Re: Goals of debian/copyright

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> Speaking of which, the other requirement we have is:

>> 8) Provide information about the upstream maintainer and upstream
>>    location of the software for non-native software, including any
>>    necessary repackaging of upstream source for Debian's purposes.

> Does that information necessarily belong in ‘debian/copyright’? I
> thought the proposed ‘debian/README.source’ was more suited for this.

I've had that conversation I think five separate times now and each time
seem to have convinced people, which is why debian/copyright is what's
recommended in devref and similar sources (see devref 6.7.8.2).  I can
have the conversation again if you haven't seen the previous rounds, but
I'd rather not if you're willing to either take my word for it or research
the previous conversations.  (Apologies if this sounds snarky; I'm not
upset at you.  I'm just kind of tired of repeating myself.  :/)