Re: Goals of debian/copyright

Russ Allbery wrote:
Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

Speaking of which, the other requirement we have is:

8) Provide information about the upstream maintainer and upstream
   location of the software for non-native software, including any
   necessary repackaging of upstream source for Debian's purposes.

There are a lot of proposal and implementation of such requirement,
which don't require debian/copyright.
I don't like redundancy, but OTOH there are different requirements:
- debian/control with Homepage and vcs- fields are general and simple
  information for user.
- debian/watch and debian/rules have some detailed information, but:
  requirement not yet in policy, lack of comments about regeneration
  of orig.tar (e.g. by removing some non-free files).

So IMO general information about upstream should not be a goal of
debian/copyright, but license/copyright issue that causes repacking
should be a goal of the file.

ciao
	cate