Re: Breaks in lenny

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:

> Well, really this thread (which, as you also said, is among the rare
> interesting and useful threads in our mailing lists nowadays) has
> shown me what I already know - That I should get more into DVCSs ;-) I
> won't repeat what Russ already replied to you (as I'm also among those
> content enough with SVN to push for something more
> ellaborate)...

Yeah, I'm kind of cringing a little bit because I think I backed myself
into arguing against a DVCS, which is really not what I meant to do.  I
mean, yes, they do seem horribly complex to me, and I do think that's a
drawback, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't all use them.

Emacs is horribly complex too, and I love it.  :)

Really, all I was trying to do was defend quilt, which is, at this point,
something that I can teach co-workers how to use in an hour, even people
who have never before done any software development in their life, and
have it make sense to them.  I hope I'll get there with DVCSes, but
they're more general and sharper tools.

I really want to find the time to sit down and really learn one, rather
than just using the little bit I have to in order to get something
specific done.  After I do that, I may become a huge advocate, but I
really can't tell you until I've gone through the exercise.  Although it
has helped to understand what to go look for when I finally find that
time.