Re: Breaks in lenny

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:
> > Which will only give useful results if we have a central repository for
> > all packages. If $RANDOM maintainer uses his own machine to host a
> > repository and goes MIA, you'll be left with one large and messy patch
> > as you don't have access to the maintainer's repository.  While using a
> > RCS is not a bad idea, maintainers would need to be forced to use alioth
> > - that's nothing you can force people to easily.  A proper collection of
> > patches - including descriptions - is the best way at the moment.
>
> The long-term possibility, which I think Ian may be alluding to without
> saying directly, is that some people are working on being able to ship the
> repository with the source package.  If you're using something like bzr or
> git, you can then immediately start using regular VCS tools on the source
> package and the right thing will happen.

I hope he was, and I hope this happens. (And my dpkg branch implementing
it for git is still out there...)

However, out of all the packages with Vcs-* fields, only about 400 (20%)
don't use alioth. If maintainers going MIA and taking their version
control repos with them becomes a problem, we could proactively mirror
those onto alioth. A mirror that only ran when a new version of a
package was uploaded shouldn't generate too bad load, especially for the
ones already using distributed systems.

--
see shy jo