Re: Breaks in lenny

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:41:17 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> I don't think we really get back the functionality of quilt until
> we're shipping the repository with the source package.

        This is an interesting statement. What exactly does quilt get me
 that a distributed VCS that does not ship  the whole archive history
 does not have?  What use cases do you have in mind?

> Having access to a read-only Subversion repository doesn't really help
> with merging local patches into new upstream releases, for example
> (something that I have to do all the time, and which is *way* easier
> for packages that use quilt or dpatch to the point that I've had to
> convert Debian packages that don't use either to use quilt just to be
> able to deal with them).

        I must be being dense.  People have, in the past, asked  me to
 merge changes from their arch branches of devotee, and I could see the
 diffs between their branch and various devotee branches I had lying
 around, and cherry picking and merging from their branch was relatively
 painless.

        Are you suggesting that somehow dpatch/quilt would have been
 even more effective?  How do you quickly get diffs between several
 parrallel lines of development that I am trying out from a quilt'ed
 patch set?

        manoj
 puzzled
--
"Life's a bitch, and life's got lots of sisters." Ross Presser