Re: Debian policy manual CVS address?

http://archives.eyrie.org/software/arch/rra@debian.org--lenny/

> I have to say that, when I announced the new menu policy, I expected a
> updated policy would be uploaded soon, since I provided a patch and
> it was well-received.

Yup, me too.

I won't get into the various assumptions and problems that I've ran into
over the past year.  Let's just say that it's been a hell of a year, I
don't think any of us were quite on the same page, and the policy
delegation last year mostly didn't happen.

I personally got stuck at the difficult "how the hell do we figure out how
to build a team" spot and let that block preparing a new package, which in
retrospect wasn't the right priority.  This is probably a case where it
would have been better to ask permission than forgiveness and release
earlier and often.  But Policy is a little intimidating and I was afraid
of breaking something.

> The current discrepancy between the policy package and the actual menu
> policy in use is causing confusion.  The menu policy is supposed to
> be authoritative but actually is not.
>
> When menu policy was integrated to debian-policy, there were a general
> agreement that this should still allow menu policy to evolve at its
> own pace.
>
> Is there any reason why the patch cannot be applied and a new policy
> package released ? That would not be detrimental to a subsequent update
> with more changes. This is in the spirit of "release early release
> often" and this would reduce the confusion about the menu structure.

I will get a release out this Sunday barring unforseen circumstances like
computer failure or illness, unless someone steps up and tells me to stop.