Re: Debian Menu policy leads to confusion

Bill Allombert wrote:

Note that menu actually allow programms to create there own 3rd level
(or 4th level) section for private purpose, to group related entries
(like xteddy and mozilla does). There is no need to document them.

Of course there is, to make it easier for translators. I know that some of them are already documented inside "menu-sections.pot".

Well I don't really like the title "Webmaster" because it refers to the
user, not the software. How about "Web development" or "Web design" ?

You are right. I will change it to "Web Development".

P.S. This is totally unrelated, but are there any plans expanding menufile format to include freedesktop.org style information for translations etc.? Would such feature be accepted if it was implemented by someone?

The question is whether there is enough interest to use them instead
of the global menu l10n. So far evidence are not compelling.
The cost of maintaining the translation inside the menu files is going
to be much higher than maintaining all the translation in a centralised
manner (like it is done currently).

I did not express myself clearly, sorry for that. I was talking about [1]. That is, including additional information in menufiles, so that desktop environments like GNOME and KDE could generate localized user friendly menu entries. This is on a wishlist of many Debian desktop users.

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html