Re: Debian Menu policy leads to confusion

Bill Allombert wrote:

Try

translate section->section
  Apps/Database   "Apps/Data management"
endtranslate

substitute section->section
  Apps/        Applications/
endtranslate

Thank you, that worked. Things suddenly started making sense after couple hours of sleep. Anyway, I have one more question: are you going to support 4 level sections like "Apps/System/GNUstep/WildMenus", or should I make "translate_menus" flatten them? And what about unofficial 3 level sections, should I flatten them too?

And here is hopefully last edition of my draft. It still is for "Apps" only. There are, however, some minor things I would like to change in other sections. Like renaming "WindowManagers" to "Window Managers" for example. Are things like this worth including in my draft?

Applications
Normal applications. This is top level
menu, do not put entries in this level.

 Accessibility
 Tools to aid people with disabilities or
 on machines lacking usual input devices.
 gok, yasr, dasher

 Data Management
 Interactive database programs, collection
 managers, bibliography tools etc.
 gaby, alexandria, mdbtools

 Editors
 Editors, other than office word processors,
 for text based information.
 ksubtile, nano, hexedit

 Educational
 Educational and training software.
 gtypist, gcompris, quiz

 Emulators
 Software that allows you to run non-native
 software or more than one OS at a time.
 wine, dosemu, qemu

 File Management
 Tools for file management, archiving,
 searching, CD/DVD burning and backup.
 file-roller, mc, baobab

 Graphics
 2D and 3D graphics manipulation software.
 gimp, inkscape, imagemagick

 HAM Radio
 Anything relating to HAM radio.
 baken, hamsoft, twlog

 Mathematical
 Mathematics related software.
 gcalctool, snapea, xeukleides

 Mobile Devices
 Software that allows you to interface
 with mobile devices (phones, PDA's etc.).
 kandy, gnokii, gnome-pilot

 Network
 Network related software. This is three level
 menu, do not put entries in second (this) level.

   Network/Communication
   Chat, instant messaging, IP telephony,
   video conferencing software.
   xchat, gaim, gnomemeeting

   Network/File Transfer
   File transfer software such as download
   managers, FTP clients, P2P clients.
   amule, gftp, d4x

   Network/Mail
   Mail and Usenet readers, mail
   notification applets etc.
   mutt, mozilla-thunderbird, tin

   Network/Monitoring
   Network monitoring software.
   gip, ettercap, iptstate

   Network/News
   Newsfeed and podcast agregators.
   akregator, kitty, liferea

   Network/Web Browsing
   Web browsers, tools for offline browsing.
   elinks, epiphany-browser, webhttrack

 Office
 Office suites, word processors, spreadsheets,
 address books, CRM, ERP, financial sofware.
 openoffice.org, tinyerp-client, rubrica

 Programming
 IDEs, debuggers, etc.
 anjuta, gdb, eclipse

 Project Management
 Timetable managers, group task
 trackers, bug tracking software etc.
 planner, tutos2, gnotime

 Scientific
 Programs for science, natural and other.
 ncbi-epcr, earth3d, therion

 Shells
 Various shells.
 bash, ksh, zsh

 Sound
 Sound players, editors and rippers/recorders.
 beep-media-player, grip, audacity

 System
 System related software. This is three level
 menu, do not put entries in second (this) level.

   System/Administration
   Administrative and system configuration utilities,
   also tools for personal user settings.
   gnome-control-center, configure-debian, gksu

   System/Hardware
   Tools for manipulating specific hardware.
   Mostly intended for laptops.
   toshutils, nvclock-gtk, nvtv

   System/Monitoring
   System information and monitoring tools, log viewers.
   top, hal-device-manager, gtkdiskfree

   System/Package Management
   Package managers and related tools.
   aptitude, deborphan, smartpm

   System/Security
   Security, cryptography and privacy related software,
   antiviruses, tools to track and report bugs.
   gpgkeys, bastille, avscan

 Technical
 Engineering related software. This is three level
 menu, do not put entries in second (this) level.

   Technical/Electronics
   Circuit design tools, simulators and
   assemblers for microprocessors etc.
   geda, gnucap, tkgate

   Technical/Engineering
   CAD tools and other technical software
   not directly related to electronics.
   gpsman, qcad, pythoncad

 TV and Radio
 TV-in, TV-out, FM radio, teletext browsers etc.
 gradio, gatos, alevt

 Text
 Text oriented tools like dictionaries,
 translation and text analysis software etc.
 kdrill, stardict, turkey

 Viewers
 Software for viewing images, documents
 and other (not video) media.
 gqview, evince, gthumb

 Video
 Video players, editors and rippers/recorders.
 xine, totem, kino

 Webmaster
 Software for web site editing, web
 programming and site administration.
 bluefish, screem, gphpedit

P.S. This is totally unrelated, but are there any plans expanding menufile format to include freedesktop.org style information for translations etc.? Would such feature be accepted if it was implemented by someone?