Re: Debian Menu policy leads to confusion

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 04:39:46PM +0200, Linas Zvirblis wrote:
> I did not receive any feedback, but posting this little update anyway.
>
> New things include:
>
>  Accessibility
>  Project Management
>  TV and FM Radio
>
> I do realize that I might have got carried away a bit, but this was
> going to happen sooner or later, I guess. Please do look at it and post
> your comments.

The main issue I have is that I did not make progress in implementing
the handling of third level sections in menu.

We should avoid renaming sections if we can, this will cause more
problems than it is worth.

Also we should not add 'Other' or 'Miscellaneous'. It is best if
developers ask here for a new section to be added than to use them.

> Draft 0.5 [2005-01-10] (Only covers Apps)
>
>  + Applications
>  | - Accessibility
>  | - Administration
>  | - Data management
>  | - Editors
>  | - Education
>  | - Emulators
>  | - File management
>  | - Graphics
>  | - HAM Radio
>  | - Mathematical
>  | - Miscellaneous
>  | - Mobile devices
>  | + Network
>  | | - Chat
>  | | - File Transfer
>  | | - Mail
>  | | - Monitoring
>  | | - News
>  | | - Other
>  | | - Web Browsing
>  | - Office
>  | - Programming
>  | - Project Management
>  | - Scientific
>  | - Shells
>  | - Sound
>  | - System
>  | + Technical
>  | | - Electronics
>  | | - Engineering
>  | | - Other
>  | - Text
>  | - Viewers
>  | - Video
>  | - Webmaster
>  + Games
>  | - Adventure
>  | - Arcade
>  | - Board
>  | - Card
>  | - Puzzles
>  | - Simulation
>  | - Sports
>  | - Strategy
>  | - Tetris-like
>  | - Toys
>  - Help
>  + Screen
>  | - Lock
>  | - Root-window
>  | - Save
>  + WindowManagers
>  | - Modules
>  - XShells
>

> Applications
> Normal applications. This is top level menu, do not put entries in this level.
>
>  Accessibility
>  Tools to aid people with disabilities or on machines lacking usual input devices.
>  gok, yasr, dasher
>
>  Administration
>  Administrative and system configuration utilities, also tools for personal user settings.
>  aptitude, configure-debian, sysv-rc-conf

I find the name a bit confusing, beside this is what System  should be
(monitoring tool should me moved somewhere else IMHO).

>  Data Management
>  Interactive database programs, collection managers, bibliography tools etc.
>  gaby, alexandria, mdbtools

It used to be "Databases". Did you renamed it because you expand the
scope ?

>  Editors
>  Editors, other than office word processors, for text based information.
>  ksubtile, nano, hexedit
>
>  Educational
>  Educational and training software.
>  gtypist, gcompris, quiz

This is "Education" actually.

>  Emulators
>  Software that allows you to run non-native software or more than one OS at a time.
>  wine, dosemu, qemu
>
>  File Management
>  Tools for file management, archiving, searching and CD/DVD burning.
>  file-roller, mc, baobab

>  Graphics
>  2D and 3D graphics manipulation software.
>  gimp, inkscape, imagemagick
>
>  HAM Radio
>  Anything relating to HAM radio.
>  baken, hamsoft, twlog

This is "Hamradio" actually.

>  Mathematical
>  Mathematics related software.
>  gcalctool, snapea, xeukleides

This is "Math" actually.

>  Miscellaneous
>  Simple apps that do not fit elsewhere. Usage of this section is dicouraged.

We should probably do not include it then.

>  Mobile Devices
>  Software that allows you to interface with mobile devices (phones, PDA's etc.).
>  kandy, gnokii, gnome-pilot

>  Network
>  Network related software. This is three level menu, do not put entries in second (this) level.
>
>   Network/Communication
>   Chat, instant messaging, IP telephony, video conferencing software.
>   xchat, gaim, gnomemeeting
>
>   Network/File Transfer
>   File transfer software such as download managers, FTP clients, P2P clients.
>   amule, gftp, d4x
>
>   Network/Mail
>   Mail and Usenet readers, mail notification applets etc.
>   mutt, mozilla-thunderbird, tin
>
>   Network/Monitoring
>   Network monitoring software.
>   gip, ettercap, iptstate
>
>   Network/News
>   Newsfeed readers.
>   akregator, yarssr, liferea
>
>   Network/Other
>   Network related software that does not fit elsewhere. Usage of this section is dicouraged.
We should rather not incude it.

>   Network/Web Browsing
>   Web browsers, tools for offline browsing.
>   elinks, epiphany-browser, webhttrack
>
>  Office
>  Office suites, address books, CRM, ERP, financial sofware.
>  openoffice.org, tinyerp-client, rubrica

Should we explicitly mention abiword and gnumeric ?

>  Programming
>  IDEs, debuggers, etc.
>  anjuta, gdb, eclipse
>
>  Project Management
>  Timetable managers, group task trackers, bug tracking software etc.
>  planner, tutos2, gnotime

>  Scientific
>  Programs for science, natural and other.
>  ncbi-epcr, earth3d, therion

This is Science actually.

>  Shells
>  Various shells.
>  bash, ksh, zsh
>
>  Sound
>  Sound players, editors and rippers.
>  beep-media-player, grip, audacity
>
>  System
>  System information and monitoring, cryptographic and privacy related software, antiviruses, backup tools.
>  top, avscan, gpgkeys
>
>  Technical
>  Engineering related software. This is three level menu, do not put entries in second (this) level.
>
>   Technical/Electronics
>   Circuit design tools, simulators and assemblers for microprocessors etc.
>   geda, gnucap, tkgate
>
>   Technical/Engineering
>   CAD tools and other technical software not directly related to electronics.
>   gpsman, qcad, pythoncad
>
>   Technical/Other
>   Technical software that does not fit elsewhere. Usage of this section is dicouraged.

Then we should not add it.

>  TV and FM Radio [DO WE NEED THIS SECTION?]
>  TV-in, TV-out, FM radio, teletext browsers etc.
>  gradio, nvtv, alevt
>
>  Text
>  Text oriented tools like dictionaries, translation and text analysis software etc.
>  kdrill, stardict, turkey
>
>  Viewers [MERGE WITH Graphics?]
>  Software for viewing images, documents and other (not video) media.
>  gqview, evince, gthumb
>
>  Video
>  Video players, editors and rippers.
>  xine, totem, kino
>
>  Webmaster
>  Software for web site editing, web programming and site administration.
>  bluefish, screem, gphpedit

Globally I find this is a good document.
Do you have an estimate of the number of menu entry to change ?

Thanks for your contribution!
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.