Re: Debian Menu policy leads to confusion

Bill Allombert wrote:

You are correct in that menu handle third level sections fine.
What is missing is the support for automatically flattening the third level sections if they are nearly empty.

Would that not cause "I installed one more package and menu changed all of the sudden" confusion among users?

We could just use the translate_menus mechanism to automatically
replace Apps by Applications. Just add the following lines to the file /etc/menu-methods/translate_menus

subtranslate section->section
  Apps/       Applications/
endtranslate

and menu will apply the changes to all menu entries at once.

This did not preserve the deeper levels. Only writing a rule for each sub level (Apps/Editors to Applications/Editors, for example) worked for me. Is this the intended? Oh, and how do I deal with spaces? "i->skip_space()" seem to interfere with them, but I did not read the entire code.

Well, we can reuse the translate_menus mechanism to make the migration
painless. Could you write a /etc/menu-methods/translate_menus file
that implement the change ?

Sure, as soon as I am satisfied with the structure.

However I am not going to rename the menus without a lot of support from
the project, of course.

Maybe we can split your proposal in two parts
1) adding new sections
2) renaming of old sections

and submit them as separate issues.

Well, then it actually should be:

1. Adding new sections.
2. Renaming old sections.
3. Removing old sections.
4. Changing the definition of old sections.

I do not expect everything to be accepted as is, but it is rather difficult to separate these at this point, so I would rather submit this in one peace. I do not expect it to be accepted as is anyway.

And here is what I did to "System". I, however, am not yet sure what to do with packages such as reportbug and gdm. These are only examples from my system, there are probably more.

 System
System related software. This is three level menu, do not put entries in second (this) level.

  System/Administration [alt. name - Configuration]
Administrative and system configuration utilities, also tools for personal user settings.
  gnome-control-center, configure-debian, gksu

  System/Device Specific [for stuff like "Apps/System/Toshiba"?]
  [no description yet]

  System/Monitoring [alt. name - Information]
  System information and monitoring tools, log viewers.
  top, hal-device-manager, gtkdiskfree

  System/Package Management
  Package managers and related tools.
  aptitude, deborphan, smartpm

  System/Security
  Security, cryptography and privacy related software, antiviruses.
  gpgkeys, bastille, avscan

I will investigate more when I have a bit free time, as there currently are a lot of weird 3 and 4 level entries that I am not sure how to deal with.

Regards,
Linas