Re: Debian Menu policy leads to confusion

Frank Küster wrote:

>>    Network/Mail [new]
>>    Mail and Usenet readers, mail
>>    notification applets etc.
>>    mutt, thunderbird, tin
> [...]
>>    Network/News [new]
>>    Newsfeed and podcast agregators.
>>    akregator, kitty, liferea
>
> Usenet readers are more frequently called "news readers", therefore the
> naming or sorting could be made better here...

I see. This would certainly cause a lot of confusion. Thank you for
pointing this out.

> Being unfamiliar with "Newsfeed and podcast agregators", I also don't
> get the difference between the and "notification applets".

Newsfeed - a RSS/Atom feed. Also known as web feed.
Podcast - video/audio delivered trough RSS.
Mail notification applet - think xbiff.

How about?

 Network/Mail and News
 Mail and News/Usenet clients,
 mail notification applets etc.
 mutt, thunderbird, tin

 Network/Web Syndication
 Web feed (RSS, Atom etc.)
 and podcast aggregators.
 akregator, kitty, liferea

Although I am not sure about the term "web syndication" [*], as I find
it fairly hard to translate. I will have to ask an expert.

Thank you again,
Linas

[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_syndication