Re: Debian Menu policy leads to confusion

Hi, Frank,

It seems "Science" here has the meaning "natural sciences", I guess
that's usual in english.  But how about pieces of software for social
sciences or humanities (I don't know of any, because I'm a biochemist,
but for sure there are some)?

Probably too few to bother, if any.

And I also don't see a good place for tools used by scientists that are
not scientific software proper: most notably bibliography stuff.  Should
this go to Office?

I would suggest putting such software in Databases. This would also include all sorts of collection managers like alexandria (currently in Tools). I do realize that these are not general purpose databases, but there currently are only 29 entries in Databases, so this sounds like a good idea to me.

If we would split up Apps/Science into Apps/Science/{natural,social and
humanities}, we could also add Apps/Science/Tools for bibliography
things and such.

This would probably not make much sense as absolute majority of these would have to go into Natural.

And, maybe related but not strictly connected to Science, how about
"Software to visualize processes and structures", like mind mapping?

If it is related to science, it should go into Science. Almost every scientific program would probably deserve a section of its own, but then we may end up with a menu like the one in that other popular OS made by one company. Of course, this is only my opinion.

Linas