Re: Debian Menu policy leads to confusion

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:55:37PM +0200, Linas Zvirblis wrote:
> One more thing on the policy. I did not manage to locate anything about
> the requirement of having a menu entry. It seems that it is completely
> optional. Maybe it should not be? There is no good reason for an
> interactive program not having a menu entry, although some do not
> (eclipse anyone?).

Please see Debian policy 9.6. Menus:
     All packages that provide applications that need not be passed any
     special command line arguments for normal operation should register a
     menu entry for those applications, so that users of the `menu' package
     will automatically get menu entries in their window managers, as well
     in shells like `pdmenu'.

> 	[!]
> 	Section:	Databases
   Example apps:	openoffice.org-base, MDB viewer, [FILL ME]

> 	[?]
> 	Section:	Education
   Example apps:	gtypist, gcompris, quiz, arithmetic

> 	[!]
> 	Section:	Math
> 	Example apps:	gcalctool, openoffice.org-math, openoffice.org-cacl

I would personnaly keep openoffice.org-cacl and openoffice.org-math from
Math and only keep softwares that are used for mathematics rather than
accounting, etc. but I am biaised fue to my work.

> 	[+]
> 	Section:	Modeling
> 	Example apps:	blender, k3d, [FILL ME]

Any reason to separate that from Graphism?

> 	Section:	Video
> 	Example apps:	xine, totem, kino

Any reason to separate them from Viewers ?

Well I have a plan to allow 3rd level section, somethings like
Apps/Net/Web while allowing menu to chop the Web part is there is
only one or two web browsers entries.

So we could have e.g.

Apps/Net/Web browsers
Apps/Net/Web authoring
Apps/Net/Mail
Apps/Viewers/Video
Apps/Graphics/3D

But splitting Apps/Net is an option since there are 295 entries there.

Please see <http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/menu/section_freq>
for statistics of current sections.

The whole set of menu entries is available at
<http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/menu/menufiles.tgz>.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>