Re: Modernising menu manual icons requirement

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:17:32AM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:21:20AM -0400, David B Harris wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 May 2003 00:30:29 -0700
> > Chris Waters <xtifr@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Right :) On the other hand, we would probably have more icons listed in
> > /usr/lib/menu/* if we could just use upstream's.
>
> Well, relaxing the 8bpp limit would probably go a long way towards
> helping there.  Scaling an image down a little usually doesn't do
> anywhere near as much damage as remapping the colors to our very
> limited set.  I know several people who would be providing icons if it
> weren't for the color limits.

So I count you 'in favor'. Thanks!

> > Given how trivial it would be to add a scaled pixmap cache for a given
> > menu method and have said method point the generated menu entry to the
> > scaled and cached pixmap, I still think that would be a better solution.
>
> It requires new code, which my approach doesn't, it adds more
> complexity to the system, and is one more thing to go wrong, it will
> slow update-menus even more (which can already be extremely slow if
> you have many packages and many window managers installed), and,

Don't tell me that! I have all the menu managers installed on my box
for testing purpose... and yes, it slow things down.

> having looked at the menu code, I'm not sure any modifications there
> can truly be described as "trivial".  Aside from that, I suppose you
> could call it better.... :)

Due to its high customization level, it is in fact mostly trivial.
It just require to change the icon() function in the
/etc/menu-method/menu.h file to do what you want.

However I am not sure it is a good idea.

> Tell you what - if you promise to have your approach implemented and
> ready to test by next week, then I'll throw my support behind you.
> But otherwise, I think we should at least discuss the idea of adding a
> few new standardized variable names.  It's a dead-simple solution, and
> it's a very flexible solution.  And, as Bill points out, we already
> have a couple (that admittedly aren't used much, but that's mostly
> because the existing ones aren't very useful, IMO).

What kind of variable name do you want ?

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.