Re: [devel-ref] author/homepage in description

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 09:50:22PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Denis Barbier wrote:
> > For translators having a development URL is also useful, because they can
> > then send up to date translations; it was said that it is then available
> > from package homepage, but some packages have no homepage and have a
> > public CVS repository.
>
> I'm not sure what a "development URL" is. You cannot really give an url
> directly to a cvs repository and surely it'd not be world readable
> anyway.

Right, I was thinking of a cvsweb interface.

> > It would also be very helpful to know when packages have upstream
> > translation teams, e.g. in GNU, GNOME or KDE projects, so that Debian
> > translators do not interfere with their work.  IMO a Project field is
> > enough, its value being either some known values or an URL.
> > Last point, it is frustrating to work on translations which are never
> > incorporated.  For instance if you do not want to bother with the FSF
> > disclaimer, you might want to know whether an author mandates it or not.
>
> I guess I don't see any of these things being worth bloating Packages
> files with.  You don't need them at install time; the info is probably
> not even needed in binary packages.

Agree.
Again my only goal is to have more accurate links at www.d.o/intl/l10n/
I could maintain a database with the needed informations for each
package, but it would be a lot simpler if developers provide them in a
standardized way.

> If a translator needs the source package anyway to do translation
> work, such info could just be present in there. If you want to spec
> out a file that goes in source packages for this kind of structured
> data, fine. uscan files are a good example of something similar.

Ok, will look at them.
Please ignore my initial request, I no longer need extra fields in
debian/control and will think of a new file in source packages.
Thanks.

Denis