Re: [devel-ref] author/homepage in description

Denis Barbier wrote:
> For translators having a development URL is also useful, because they can
> then send up to date translations; it was said that it is then available
> from package homepage, but some packages have no homepage and have a
> public CVS repository.

I'm not sure what a "development URL" is. You cannot really give an url
directly to a cvs repository and surely it'd not be world readable
anyway.

> It would also be very helpful to know when packages have upstream
> translation teams, e.g. in GNU, GNOME or KDE projects, so that Debian
> translators do not interfere with their work.  IMO a Project field is
> enough, its value being either some known values or an URL.
> Last point, it is frustrating to work on translations which are never
> incorporated.  For instance if you do not want to bother with the FSF
> disclaimer, you might want to know whether an author mandates it or not.

I guess I don't see any of these things being worth bloating Packages
files with. You don't need them at install time; the info is probably
not even needed in binary packages. If a translator needs the source
package anyway to do translation work, such info could just be present
in there. If you want to spec out a file that goes in source packages
for this kind of structured data, fine. uscan files are a good example
of something similar.

--
see shy jo