Re: [devel-ref] author/homepage in description

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Joey Hess wrote:

> Britton wrote:
> > I don't like this.  The pages listed will end up being wrong half the time
> > and google can find homepages very well and everybody knows it, so what is
> > the point in adding this?
>
> Well we already have the links in the copyright files now, so if they're
> going to be wrong half the time that must already be a problem.

Users dont generally really care to look at the copyright though.  DFSG
does this for them really.

> I'd hope most maintainers are tuned in well enough to upstream
> development of their package to notice when its url changes.

Even if they notice, they aren't going to be able to reach into stable and
fix the thing.

Two years ago I'd have gone for this idea, but google is so widely known
and never seems to fail to turn up homepages so it seems like a very
minimal gain at best now.  Bear in mind that policy is big enough these
days that any bit of information you add to it is likely to displace some
other bit in the minds of most developers.

Britton Kerin