Re: [RFC] *-rc.d -> rc.d-* transition

On Sat, 07 Sep 2002, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20020906215003.GC24596@khazad-dum>,
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh  <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> >As it was talked in Debconf2, we would be better off if we renamed all
> >*-rc.d utilities (invoke-rc.d, policy-rc.d, update-rc.d) to rc.d-*
> >(rc.d-invoke, rc.d-policy, rc.d-update).
>
> Is there documentation online about that?

I am not sure. Maybe Joey Hess, or one of the others kept some.
Unfortunately I forgot the name of the softw. engineer who proposed the
changes, and did not write down all the points people made :-(

The arguments for the transition were, as far as I recall:

1. Since we'll be adding more programs to update-rc.d, we should have fixed
   that in the first place (I replied "too late" to the guy when I heard
   this argument :-) )

2. Far easier stem-searching while working with the stuff (rc.d<tab>),
   makes far more sense, too.

3. Clean namespace and proper grouping of related utilities. rc.d-{update,
   invoke, policy}, especially when the upcoming (when they're ready)
   init.d-* scripts (for parallel execution and dependency processing in
   init scripts) are taken into account.

4. update-rc.d should have been called rc.d-update in the first place

5. there is no real reason not to do the change in the first place, users
   are NOT supposed to be using rc.d-update directly anyway, and the symlink
   will stay around for a while.

So no, there are not any huge techinical reasons for the changes.  And to be
quite blunt, changing invoke-rc.d and policy-rc.d is no big deal, almost
nobody is using them consciously yet...  So the only 'big' change is
update-rc.d -> rc.d-update.

There are no good *technical* reasons to not change it either, since
absolutely nothing will break, and the amount of work the change will
require is quite small when diluted over one year or so (most people use
debhelper anyway...).  As usual, yes, this means I will post patches and NMU
stuff if asked to.

As for pairing this change up with the other init script changes that
are forthcoming, I agree.  If this proposal is accepted, I will hold it from
being enforced until the next round of init script changes also go in.
There is at least one pending: usage of invoke-rc.d is to be made mandatory
for sarge (if at all possible).

  Henrique Holschuh