[RFC] *-rc.d -> rc.d-* transition
As it was talked in Debconf2, we would be better off if we renamed all
*-rc.d utilities (invoke-rc.d, policy-rc.d, update-rc.d) to rc.d-*
(rc.d-invoke, rc.d-policy, rc.d-update).
1a. Rename all scripts to their new names, add compatibility symlinks to
the sysvinit and file-rc packages.
The scripts can be executed by both names.
1b. Change policy to recommend the new names, and deprecate the old
ones. Email debian-devel-announce about it, so that other docs get updated
2. Change debhelper (and any other maintainer script templates) to use the
3. File wishlist bugs to all non-debhelper-using packages to switch to
the new naming scheme.
4. wait for sarge to be released
5. Change policy to forbid the old naming. File bugs, NMU all packages
still using the old ones.
6. wait for sarge+1 to be released
7. remove the compatibility symlinks.
If there are no problems with this transition plan, I will write a policy
"One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot