Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

>>"Clint" == Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:

 >> The policy explicitly mentions that set -e is to be used. Have
 >> we collectively taken leave of common sense?

 Clint> No, it mentions that set -e SHOULD be used in some cases.  The fact that
 Clint> it mentions /bin/sh in context with 'set -e' might be a bit confusing,
 Clint> but I don't think that that overrides the declaration that #!/bin/sh
 Clint> scripts MUST not use set -e.

	Show me. Which section?

 >> For the former. For the latter, if it really confuses soemone
 >> whether set -e is to be used or not, I suggest they stop
 >> being a developer and take up some other hobby, like being a lawyer.

 Clint> There's no confusion.  set -e is expressly forbidden.

	You keep asserting this, with no supporting evidence.

2.4.5. Error trapping in makefiles
----------------------------------
     Every time you put more than one shell command (this includes using a
     loop) in a makefile command you must make sure that errors are
     trapped.  For simple compound commands, such as changing directory and
     then running a program, using `&&' rather than semicolon as a command
     separator is sufficient.  For more complex commands including most
     loops and conditionals you should include a separate `set -e' command
     at the start of every makefile command that's actually one of these
     miniature shell scripts.

6.1. Introduction to package maintainer scripts

     The package management system looks at the exit status from these
     scripts.  It is important that they exit with a non-zero status if
     there is an error, so that the package management system can stop its
     processing.  For shell scripts this means that you _almost always_
     need to use `set -e' (this is usually true when writing shell scripts,
     in fact).  It is also important, of course, that they don't exit with
     a non-zero status if everything went well.

11.4. Scripts
-------------

     Shell scripts (`sh' and `bash') should almost certainly start with
     `set -e' so that errors are detected.  Every script should use `set
     -e' or check the exit status of _every_ command.

 Clint> Perhaps those persons who prefer forbidding something while
 Clint> claiming that common sense allows it, to achieving some sort
 Clint> of consistency, should become lawyers or perhaps government
 Clint> officials.

	Back it up, buddy. Where is your proof?  I have given three
 explicit references from policy strongly recommending set -e. Where
 the heck is it forbidden?

	manoj
--
 This is a logical analogy too... anyone who's been around, knows the
 world is run by paenguins.  Always a paenguin behind the curtain,