Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 03:13:23PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > 	Aj, on the other hand, is logically asking for continuing to
> >  use package priority
> I thought he was asking that we use package essentiality, though I
> suppose one could argue that "essential" is a virtual priority, one
> higher than any others.
>
> Alternatively, my grep-available command needs to be changed.

If you need to use a binary that's not in an Essential: yes package, but
is in /bin, you can Depend: upon that package, then use it. /sbin/ifconfig
from net-tools, or /bin/ip from iproute for example.

The "required" priority is meant to be "essential + dependencies",
but isn't quite, for reference.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''