Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 07:31:32PM +0200, Jochen Voss wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 11:53:50PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 01:48:21AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > Documentation good.  Ad hockery bad.
> > That's your opinion, not mine, and not the word of God that you make it
> > out to be.
> Sorry Anthony, but are you really telling us that in your
> opinion not documenting technical things should be prefered
> to documenting them?

Ad hockery can often be quite productive and helpful and useful, all of which
are good, not bad. I'd cite Linux as a whole as an example.

Documentation can often be a nuisance: if there's too much of it or
if it's badly written so it's hard to find anything, or if it doesn't
match reality, or if the burden of maintaining the documentation stops
you from doing things that would be productive.

Things are very rarely as simple as "four legs good, two legs bad".

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif